NEW JOBS FOR VATELIENS: In June, 2015, right after 6 years in the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, Guillaume was hired as the Radisson Blu Hotel Nice Director of Operations. Coming soon: his new interview.
In 2010, just five years after he graduated, Guillaume Verchere was appointed Financial Controller for all the Rezidor Group hotels in Benelux. Since June, 2012, he has also been in charge of 20 three to five-star hotels in the North of France.
What is your current position?
Since January, 2010, I have been the Benelux Regional Financial Controller for the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group. In 2012, the group offered me the opportunity of taking on the additional responsibility of hotels in Northern France (Paris, Marne-La-Vallée, Roissy, Lille and Nantes), so I am now the Benelux & North of France Financial Controller for 20 three to five-star hotels in Belgium (Park Inn by Radisson and Radisson Blu), the Netherlands and Paris. Three more will be opened at the end of 2012 / beginning of 2013 in Lille, Nantes and Amsterdam. My office is currently located in Brussels.
What did you do before attending Vatel?
Before starting Vatel, I did a general high school diploma. I went to the Champagant High School in St. Symphorien sur Croise, and did general studies in my first years to try to have a major in math. However, two years before graduating, I already knew that I wanted to attend Vatel and that I was interested in management. So in spite of the fact that both my teachers and my parents didn’t approve of my choice, I majored in tertiary economics my last two years in order to be able to continue courses in accounting and management. Right after I graduated from high school, I enrolled in Vatel in Lyon. And I never regretted this choice!
I love this job and it’s a field I’ve always been interested in because of the contact you have with your guests as well as the many multicultural contacts this field offers. It’s a sector in which we provide a service that includes moments of exchange and pleasure. Today, I’m not on the front line as much, but on a higher level I’m responsible for customer satisfaction, employee satisfaction, as well as reporting to owners and shareholders. Vatel was able to give me specialized courses in this field as well as professional experience in hotel management. In addition, our School has a great reputation. I would encourage students to continue their education with a Postgraduate Degree, as this last year in Vatel in Lyon was completely different from the first three years: much more work to do, but so many more skills and experiences acquired.
What do you remember the most about when you attended Vatel? A story to tell?
Above all, my years at Vatel brought me a lot of things from a personal point of view; I met my very best friends here and I forged my “challenger” character. Personally speaking, this was fantastic, but I also met many great people on a professional level: professors who loved and knew how to teach us their job and convey their passion (Mr. Aries, Mrs. Morel, Mrs. Deniaux, Mrs. Luxton and Chefs Bonnet and Peyramaure) as well as professionals in the hospitality industry in the framework of my various internships. I’ve got loads of anecdotes to share because of all the internships I did, but that would take too much time. These practical application internships teach you a lot, even if they are sometimes hard, when they are finished, you realize how much your have learned and grown.
Could you tell us about something that was done or said while you were attending Vatel (either in your theoretical and practical courses or during an internship) that still influences you today in your professional life?
Of course, I’ve got many memories from attending school that still influence me today in my work. But above all, it was meeting great people and being motivated that allowed me (and this is still true) to continue progressing in my career. People I knew always believed in me. Mrs. Sebban was the first person who made me realize that this field was made for someone like myself: Beginning of 2001 (+/-May) the Vatel Lyon entrance exam with the test day that would end with an interview with Mrs. Sebban and my parents.
I clearly remember this interview because it was the first time I had spoken with Mrs. Sebban, for whom I already had a lot of respect and I knew that her point of view and experience could be really helpful to me. This interview focused on the results of the psychological test I had taken earlier in the day. My parents and I were surprised that these personality traits the test pointed out were completely exact and corresponded perfectly to me. Mrs. Sebban added that she had no doubts whatsoever that I would succeed in this profession and that she believed in me. That was really important and triggered my motivation to succeed in this field. Because even though I had been sure of my choice in hospitality and had already decided two years ago to enroll in Vatel and not in another school, I didn’t have any friends or family members working in hospitality and this was a field that I didn’t know a thing about.
What have you done since you graduated? What opportunities have you had?
- October 2004, after my last Bachelor’s degree internship, that I did in accounting in the Radisson SAS Royal Hotel in Brussels, the Finance department manager (also the Benelux Regional manager at that time), Catherine Bauer, offered to hire me in the accounting department. And as I wanted to continue with my Postgraduate Degree, I turned this down, but told her I’d be back next year. As promised, Catherine contacted me the following year and repeated her offer that I, of course, accepted. So in June, 2005, I started my first day of work at the Radisson SAS Royal Hotel in the accounts payable department.
- September 2005, only three months after I had started, I was elected “Employee of the Month” by hotel senior management.
- August 2006, Catherine left the Radisson SAS Royal a few months earlier to launch the group’s second hotel in Brussels, the Radisson SAS EU Hotel, in the heart of the European district. Catherine opened the hotel as the Finance Manager, as well as having Regional responsibilities. A few months later, her assistant at that time was promoted to the Finance Manager position and they offered me the job as Assistant Financial Controller at the Radisson SAS EU Hotel in Brussels.
- June 2007, the Radisson SAS Royal Hotel called me to offer me the job as Assistant Financial Controller. After having spent a few months at the EU Hotel, I had already rolled out several tools I studies in my Graduate Degree (auditing, dashboards, menu engineering, etc.), I wanted to meet a new challenge and become a part of a larger team (10 members instead of 4 in the EU). End of June, 2007, the Financial Controller of the Radisson SAS Royal Hotel stepped down and I thus found myself an Assistant without a Financial Controller, leading a team of eight for a few months (until October, 2007).
- December 2007, I was elected by the entire Radisson SAS Royal Hotel workforce (headcount of 145) as “Employee of the Year” and won a fantastic trip to New York.
- April 2008, the hotel’s General Manager was not satisfied with the work done by the Financial Controller since he arrived six months earlier, and his probationary contract was not renewed. He offered me the job, which I, of course, accepted.
- July 2008, while taking part in an internal contest at Rezidor, I won a scholarship to take a course at Cornell University: “Managing People: Essential Skills for Leadership”. I learned a lot in this course and apply the key ideas when I manage my team. For me, the most important thing is: Leadership by example!
- September 2009, the EU Hotel Financial Controller left and I was asked to take on the responsibility of the two Brussels hotels and thus was appointed City Financial Controller Brussels.
- January 2010, after having spent nearly a year without a Regional Financial Controller for Benelux, the group asked me to add the responsibility of the Financial Controller for the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel in Brussels to my job.
- November, 2010, a few months earlier Vatel in Lyon had invited me to participate with the School for one of the three new “Hospitality Awards” created for the first time for international hotel management and tourism schools. In the finale, with two candidates including a Vatel alumnus in Bangkok, I won the “Hospitality Award” for the “Best Professional Success.”
Guillaume Verchere received the Worldwide Hospitality Award from Yann Caillere, the Deputy General Manager in charge of the Accor group Worldwide Operations, in the presence of Karine Benzazon, Vatel in Lyon and Nimes General Manager.
- June 2012, the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group proposed an additional responsibility of taking charge of the hotels in the North of France (Paris, Marne-la-Vallée, Roissy, Lille and Nantes), and I was thus appointed Regional Financial Controller Benelux & North of France.
And if you have anything else you’d like to say…
I’m always glad to share my experience with students or interns. A few weeks ago, we signed a partnership with Vatel in Brussels so that fourth year’s students could do their internship in one of our three hotels in Brussels (3*, 4* and 5*), as of next year.
In a landmark collaboration, Vatel Hospitality & Tourism Business School and Swiss-Belresidences Hotel have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) aimed at bolstering their ties.Read more
With limited available seats, the deadline for admissions applications swiftly approaches, set for the evening of Thursday, September 21, 2023.Read more
Taking active involvement in 'Youth City 2030' this year, the Vatel Hospitality & Tourism Business School in Bahrain is delighted to present an insightful session in partnership with the Gulf Hotel, on 'The Dining Protocol and Etiquette'.Read more
The open day event, presented by Vatel Hospitality and Tourism Business School under the theme "Discover Hospitality" in collaboration with the InterContinental Regency Bahrain Hotel, saw an impressive surge of participants.Read more
The meeting centered around forging collaborative ties between the college and the hotel, capitalizing on their distinguished partnership, and devising strategies to enhance student development and leverage the hotel's extensive expertise.Read more
Vatel Hospitality & Tourism Business School has joined hands with the Intercontinental Regency Bahrain Hotel to announce an upcoming open day titled ‘Discover Hospitality’Read more
The Ministry of Education in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has officially recognised Vatel Hospitality & Tourism Business School in Bahrain as one of the recommended higher education provider for Saudi students to enrol in.Read more
Vatel Bahrain and Jumeirah Gulf of Bahrain Resort and Spa have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to provide training opportunities for college students and enhance cooperation in the fields of hospitality and tourism.Read more
Dr. Mohammed bin Mubarak Juma, Minister of Education and Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Higher Education Council, visited Vatel Bahrain, College of Hospitality at its headquarters in Al-Jasra.Read more
H.E. Mr. Nabil bin Yaqub Al-Hamar, the Media Affairs Advisor to His Majesty the King, paid a visit to the headquarters of the Vatel Hospitality & Tourism Business School in Al Jasra.Read more
Jameel bin Mohammad Ali Humaidan, Minister of Labour met with Shaikh Khalid bin Khalifa Al Khalifa, Director-General of Vatel Bahrain.Read more
Manama, June 22 (BNA): Rawan bint Najeeb Tawfiqi, Minister of Youth Affairs, received Shaikh Khalid bin Khalifa Al Khalifa, Director-General of Vatel Hospitality and Tourism Business School.Read more
Vatel Bahrain participated in the evaluation panel for student performance in Vatel Nîmes, France. The Grand Oral takes place in June each year, and successful students are awarded a bachelor’s degree in international Hotel Management.Read more
Vatel Bahrain & Conrad Bahrain Financial Harbour signed a MoU to strengthen bilateral relations and cooperation between the two parties, and work to provide training opportunities for Vatel students in the fields of hospitality, and tourism.Read more
Vatel Bahrain, in collaboration with the Gulf Hotel, honoured 43 of their students for their successful participation in the Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix, as well as the 146th General Assembly Meeting of the International Parliamentary UnionRead more
Vatel Hospitality & Tourism Business School continues its academic achievements as it maintains the 11th rank in the world, among 160 universities worldwide, according to the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023.Read more
Vatel Hospitality & Tourism Business School won the International Student Ratio Award in the Global Higher Education Exhibition “GHEDEX 2023”.Read more
The Vatel Hospitality & Tourism Business School in Bahrain organised a field trip for foundation year students in cooperation with The Art Hotel & ResortRead more
Vatel Bahrain organised a student site visit to various archaeological tourist sites in the Kingdom of Bahrain, including the Pearling Path.Read more
Manama, Apr. 18 (BNA): Vatel Bahrain will double its admission capacity to provide the local tourism scene with more highly skilled national workforce, Director General Shaikh Khalid bin Khalifa Al Khalifa announcedRead more
Exhibition World Bahrain signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Vatel Bahrain to provide mentorship and career guidance and opportunities to students, host various guest speakers and attract mutual beneficial opportunities.Read more
Foundation year students at Vatel Hospitality & Tourism Business School participated in workshops entitled "Etiquette in Hospitality", to acquire the skills required to start their practical training in accordance with international standards.Read more
The Ritz-Carlton, Bahrain and Vatel Bahrain signed an agreement that further strengthened their partnership in developing future leaders in luxury hospitality.Read more
The Supreme Organising Committee of the Bahrain International Airshow (BIAS 2022) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Vatel Bahrain – International Hospitality School.Read more
The General Director of Vatel Hotel & Tourism Business School in Bahrain, Shaikh Khaled bin Khalifa Al Khalifa, visited Vatel's campus in Nimes, France, where he met with the college's leadership and several topics were discussed.Read more
General Director of Vatel Bahrain stressed the importance of strengthening relations and links between the college’s branch in Bahrain, and other Vatel locations across the globe, especially Vatel’s headquarters in Lyon in France.Read more
Vatel Hospitality & Tourism Business School attained a new academic achievement by ranking 11th in the world in the “QS World University Rankings” in Hospitality & Leisure Management, by subject, for the year 2022, out of 150 universities worldwide.Read more
More and more human communities consider ecotourism to be a solution that promotes their way of life, and preserves their culture and biodiversity surrounding them.Read more
Martin Rousset, a Vatel Nimes student, flew to Antananarivo for Vatel Madagascar’s specialization in ecotourism management for his last MBA year.Read more
The tourism sector, one that now attracts millions of young students throughout the world, is in tune with globalizationthat is currently being overturned by inequalities and environmental threats.Read more
Vatel Rwanda started in 2016, we began to prepare the first intake for 2018, headed by Nicole Bamukunde, a Rwandese graduate of Vatel, and who has worked in startups in her country, which is totally renewing itself.Read more
This last week of November, 339 5th year students competed in English for 1st place on the podium.Read more